Monday, May 5, 2008

Identity crisis or delusions of grandeur?

In this month's installment of "Peak Performance" I discuss the frequently erroneous and often grandiose titles software testers have on their business cards or in their e-mail SIGs. Identity crisis or delusions of grandeur? 
--
Scott Barber
Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus, Inc.
About.me

Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
Author, Web Load Testing for Dummies
Contributing Author, Beautiful Testing, and How To Reduce the Cost of Testing

"If you can see it in your mind...
     you will find it in your life."

2 comments:

Jeff Fry said...

Hey Scott,

I think there are a lot of great conversations to be had about how we label ourselves (or get labeled) as testers. I started to write a comment...which grew into a post of my own:
http://testingjeff.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/why-would-you-call-yourself-that/

Cheers,
Jeff

Jetstream said...

I weas reading your blog and agree wholeheartedly. I've always thought that chasing a title was a meaningless pursuit. I'd rather know that my peers, managers and team know that I lead by example.

Usually it is the tester (being the tail) that wags the dog, because they know what it is like to have to clean up with fewer reasources, even less time and delviering more with responsibility for it all. I've never once heard a Senior Manager ask the question "Who built this?' Who Designed this? Invariably, it comes down to 'Who Tested this'?

In Vendor IT environments, we are generalised a production support where everything is developer centric and the world revolves around them.

In Client IT enviornemnts, we are generalised as the Domain experts where everything is client centric and the world around them

In fact, we are our own world and we work tirelessly, fastidiously and doggedly to deliver to either or both worlds, but be clear that 'We are the centre of the Universe' otherwise, neither Vendor or Client has someone they can blame. Wow I think someone has issues...

I've got some ideas as to titles
1. Developer Support? nah
2. Illuminators of IT Project Truths? nah - Not wearing tights :)
3. Project Manager's inner conscience? nah - fictional character
4. ...and other duties are required?
5. I'll tell you what I do and you tell me who I am? getting close
6. Software Quality Analyst / Manager (My favourite) Underline the analyst works for me.