Saturday, August 24, 2013

Any Given Thursday – Digging into Nasdaq’s 3-Hour Outage

This has been an uncharacteristically bad week for web performance, with several major and historically reliable services reporting outages due to "network issues". In my (not always so humble) opinion:
"Insufficient available bandwidth causing an outage, however, bothers me. A lot. There is absolutely no good reason for insufficient bandwidth to cause an outage. Maybe a slowdown, but if a flood of network traffic (not a flood of traffic to your site, just a whole bunch of traffic on the same network as your site) leads to an outage, something is wrong, at least in my book."
Read the rest of Any Given Thursday
Read part 1 of my commentary in Any Given Monday

--
Scott Barber
Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus, Inc.
About.me

Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
Author, Web Load Testing for Dummies
Contributing Author, Beautiful Testing, and How To Reduce the Cost of Testing

I don't produce software systems.
I help those who do produce software systems do it better.
I am a tester.

No comments: